Sunday 9 May 2010

Rock Night

A Writer's Extreme Creativity Challenge: Write a story a day, in May. That's it: http://storyaday.org/. Thanks to David Wynne for the words 'hairdryer candle jellybeans pearl jam poster'

#8 : Rock Night


Son, she said, have I got a little story for you.

I light the candle.

Scientists have theorised that it may be possible to actually increase my base level of Rock beyond current levels, but that this will require a further thirteen dimensions, seven imaginary particles and an entirely new kind of matter based on the chords of Eddie Vedder.

While we wait for the Large Hadron Collider to establish whether this is possible, I prepare to head down to Trillians. While taking up to an hour to dry and straighten waist length hair, I sacrifice five jellybeans to the Pearl Jam Poster, melting them in candlewax. I Rock.

Interpreting the trails of wax and jelly as I bolt myself in to thigh length platform boots, the signs are... something is wrong. Has the Pearl Jam Poster forsaken me? I look close, analysing and evaluating every rivulet of wax, every particle of burned sugar.

Now I can't see, I just stare...

I double check. It appears that this evening in town, I shall indeed Rock, but there is one coming who shall Rock yet harder than myself. I look angrily at the poster. Pearl Jam have been wrong before? Haven’t they?

And if so... if so...who answers...who answers...

No. The poster, the candle, the jellybeans, they have never yet been wrong. So the question remains: what to do? pledge allegiance to this new Messiah of Rock? My time is over, perhaps. I angrily flick a jellybean at the poster and immediately regret it. I must respect the Pearl Jam Poster.


I'm still alive.

Never. I pull on my leather coat. Never. I shall go down with the maximum power and dignity of Rock. There shall be a Rock off the likes of which we have never seen, it shall be spoken of in hushed awe for years to come. I must time my arrival on the dance floor with care. I’m still alive. These boots are made for Rocking.

And that’s just what they’ll do. I am ready.
The bus is coming.

Oh, I'm still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment